In the modern world we are spending most of time with our devices (like Smartphones , Tablets, iPads etc.) and our most of work will done with our devices and that’s why we want our devices will be best in performance so we will do easily our task and for that purpose is our device configuration will be best and for this main thing is processor of our device because processor is the heart of the device.
So in the recent days most of our devices are come with the Octa-core or Quad-core. In the processors the main element is the core that reads and executes instructions. Devices began with a single-core processor, but engineers created more powerful devices by including more cores in one device. That led to dual-core devices. Soon there were quad-core processors (as in four cores), and now there are hexa- (six) and octa-core (eight) smartphones and tablets.
Benefits of Multiple cores
The more cores, faster they can divide the work you’re asking the phone to do. So the benefits of multicore is enhances your device performance & your apps loads quickly on your device. You can easily capture high-quality photos & Videos then browse your collection without pausing the system.
Is an octa-core smartphone twice as fast as a quad-core one?
No. An octa-core processor is faster than a quad-core processor only when it’s running an app that takes advantage of its abilities or when you’re multitasking. For example, one core may be at work on your web browsing while another is standing by. A call comes in, and the second core gets to work. Both your web browsing and your phone call continue without a hitch, but not necessarily twice as fast.
In recent market Processors used on Smartphones & Tablets are :
1. Qualcomm Snapdragon : It is a US based company, Qualcomm was the first brand that introduce CDMA technology in the market and actively involved in technology related to semiconductors designing for Mobile devices, tracking devices, satellite phones, Virtual Reality, wireless charging etc. It is widely known for its Snapdragon brand which is responsible for releasing mobile processors & LTE modems.
It first claim to fame in processor market when it released the first 1 Ghz processor that time average speed of most smartphones was only 512 Mhz.
Now a days Snapdragon are come under the 4 Series :
- 200 Series :
Qualcomm 205 Mobile Platform
- 400 Series :
Snapdragon 450 Mobile Platform
Snapdragon 435 Platform
Snapdragon 430 Platform
Snapdragon 427 Platform
- 600 Series :
Snapdragon 660 Mobile Platform
Snapdragon 653 Mobile Platform
Snapdragon 652 Mobile Platform
Snapdragon 650 Mobile Platform
Snapdragon 636 Mobile Platform
Snapdragon 630 Mobile Platform
Snapdragon 626 Mobile Platform
Snapdragon 625 Mobile Platform
- 800 Series :
Snapdragon 845 Mobile Platform
Snapdragon 835 Mobile Platform
Snapdragon 821 Mobile Platform
Snapdragon 820 Mobile Platform
Qualcomm Snapdragon processors are known for its performance. The processor handles multitasking very well and can handle heavy and intensive processing which is especially good for gaming. The presence of inbuilt Adreno graphics match the performance of processor. Snapdragon processors also produce less heat compared to other processors. Generally Snapdragon processors are costlier than other processors.
2. Apple Mobile Processors : Apple do not manufacture any microprocessors. Instead, they make contracts with processor manufacturing companies mainly Samsung and TSMC for making custom built processors that suits their design and performance expectations.
List of Series used by Apple in Processors :
- A Series : The A series is a family of “System on Chips” (SoC) used in iPhones, iPad, iPod touch & Apple TV. They are designed by Apple and manufactured by Samsung & TSMC. They integrate CPU, GPU, Cache memory and other electronics necessary to provide mobile computing functions within a single physical package.
Processors come under A series :
- Apple A4
- Apple A5
- Apple A5X
- Apple A6
- Apple A6X
- Apple A7
- Apple A8
- Apple A8X
- Apple A9
- Apple A9X
- Apple A10 Fusion
- Apple A10X Fusion
- Apple A11 Bionic
- S Series : The S series is a family of “System in Package” (SiP) used in Apple watch. They are designed by Apple and manufactured by Samsung.
Processors come under S series :
- Apple S1
- Apple S1P
- Apple S2
- Apple S3
- T Series : T seriesis designed to use in TouchID sensors in MacBook Pro. The only version released till now is Apple T1.
- W series : Apple W series is used in headphones for wireless audio connectivity. The series is currently in Apple W1 which is used in wireless headphones and AirPods.
Processors come under W series :
- Apple W1
- Apple W2
3. Intel Atom and Core M processors : Intel is an American multinational company synonymous with PC and microprocessors. Atom is the brand name given for the low power consuming and low cost 32 and 64 bit chips manufactured for using in smartphones and tablet devices.
Intel processors are based on X86 architecture which is powerful than ARM, but consume more power compared to ARM architecture. Latest versions of Intel processors did improve the power consumption aspect bringing it down to less than 5 watts which is ideal for all mobile devices. Though Atom processors in the beginning supported only Windows, it now supports all major mobile operating systems.
Intel Atom processors are currently in Atom X5 and X7 series. These chips are 64 bit Quad core processors in 14 nanometer size with speeds up to 1.6 GHz that can be scaled up to 2.4 Ghz.
Intel also released Intel Core M microprocessors which are ultra low-voltage designed for ultra-thin notebooks, mobile devices and 2 in 1 convertibles. The processor consume less 4.5 watts or less power making it ideal for long battery life. These are dual core processors with speeds around 1.5Ghz which can be scaled to 3.2 GHz speeds. Intel Core M processors offer 40% boost in CPU and graphics performance than previous versions.
Intel Atom processors are supported by all manufacturers. The latest Atom processor is mainly used in tablet manufacturers from Microsoft Surface, Asus, Dell, Lenovo, HP. As of 2016, Asus ZenFone series is the only smartphone using Atom processor. Core M processors is used in 12-inch Apple MacBook and HP Chromebook.
4. Nvidia Tegra : Nvidia Corporation is an American based company technology company which specialize in making processing units for graphics, gaming units and mobile devices. Nvidia develops chips for smartphones, tablets and mobile devices under the brand Tegra.
Tegra processors are built on 64 bit ARM architecture. Tegra till now have gone through Tegra 1, Tegra 3, Tegra 4, Tegra 4i, Tegra K1, Tegra X1. As of end of 2016, Tegra X1 is currently the most advanced Tegra chip in the market. The process is Quad Core with 256 GPU cores capable of 4K video capabilities. The chips are built on 20 nm technology. The processor is currently used in Nvidia SHIELD Android TV.
Tegra processors used in smartphone and tablet markets are mainly Tegra 4, Tegra 4i and Tegra K1.
- Tegra 4is used by Asus Transformer PAD, HP Slatebook, Toshiba Excite, Xiaomi Mi3, XOLO Play Tegra Note.
- Tegra 4i is used by Blackphone.
- Tegra K1 is used by Nvidia Shield Tablet, Google Nexus 9, Acer Chromebook 13 and 14, Navi Big Tab.
Nvidia have announced Tegra P1 and Nvidia Xavier for release by 2017. First one is going to be Hexa core and the latter Octa core. Both will be built on 16 nm technology.
5. MediaTek : MediaTek is a Taiwanese semiconductor company providing chips for mobile devices, HDTV’s and other electronic devices.
MediaTek processors are built on 64 bit ARM architecture. The latest MediaTek processor supports up to 3 GHz speed. They come in variety of cores such as Dual Core (2 core), Quad Core (4 core), Hexa Core (6 core) and Deca Core (10 core).
The latest processor from MediaTek are Helio X20 and Helio X25 which are used in smartphones and tablets. MediaTek processors are mostly popular with Chinese manufacturer. Xiaomi, Meizu, LeEco Le, Yu etc use them on Smartphones. Acer, Asus ,Lenovo, Amazon Fire HD, QMobile are some of the manufacturers that use the processors in their tablets.
The company will be releasing Helio X30 and Helio X27 which wil be available in market by first quarter of 2017. They use 10 nm and 20 nm respectively. Both are deca core with 2 dual core and a single dual core built inside the processor.
6. HiSilicon : HiSilicon is a Chinese company specializing in semiconductor technology. The company is owned by Huawei. The company creates chips based on ARM architecture. The company is the largest domestic integrated circuit designer in China.
Some of the processors released by HiSilicon are K3V1, K3V2, K3V2E, Kirin 620, Kirin 650, Kirin 910, Kirin 920, Kirin 930, Kirin 950 and soon to be released Kirin 960.Some of the devices with Kirin 950 are Honor 8, Huawei mate 8, Huawei MediaPad M3.
Kirin 960 is the model to be released in the series. It is built on 64-bit ARM architecture on 16 nm FinFET technology. The processor is Quad core capable of going up to 2.4GHz. This is also the first processor with Mali-G71 MP8 GPU which is rumored to power soon to be released Galaxy S8. The GPU is rumored to be 180% faster than its predecessor. The processor made great improvement in making sure the battery last longer. There is also a lot of improvement in high LTE download and upload speeds. The processor is rumored to be powerful than Apple A10 Fusion or Snapdragon 820 and 821.
Huawei P10 and Huawei Mate 9 with Kirin 960 will be released anytime by end of 2016 or the first quarter of 2017.
7. Samsung Exynos : Exynos is a brand of Samsung Electronics which makes processors based on ARM architecture.
Exynos processors are manufatcured in the series of ARMv7 & ARMv8 SoCs.
List of ARMv7 Exynos SoCs :
- Exynos 3 Single
- Exynos 3250
- Exynos 3470
- Exynos 3475
- Exynos 4210
- Exynos 4212
- Exynos 4415
- Exynos 5250
- Exynos 5260
- Exynos 5410
- Exynos 5420
- Exynos 5422
- Exynos 5430
- Exynos 5800
List of ARMv8 Exynos SoCs :
- Exynos 5433
- Exynos 7420
- Exynos 7570
- Exynos 7580
- Exynos 7650
- Exynos 7870
- Exynos 7880
- Exynos 8890
- Exynos 8895
Exynos 7420 Octa which is a 14nm, octa-core processor is used in Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 edge.
After Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung decided to use both Exynos and Qualcomm models for their smartphone. Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge used both Exynos 8 Octa 8890 and Snapdragon 820. The type of processor used was decided by the model number and the place from where it is bought. Exynos 8 Octa 8890 is 14nm octa core processor.
Exynos 8 Octa 8895 is the latest from Exynos. The processor is equipped with Octa Core on 64-bit ARM architecture with Mali GPU. The processor is capable of running at 2.3 GHz speed with support for 3D gaming, 4K UHD resolution support. The chips are 10 nm technology. The processor is used in Galaxy S8 and S8+ processor.